How To Afford A Trip To Europe | So you’ve decided to take a holiday in Europe – how exciting! It’s such a melting pot of culture food and amazing experiences that will give you many memories that you’ll still be talking about for years to come. But once you start adding up all the costs involved the amount of money that you need it can seem like an impossible task to save that much.
But don’t worry – it’s certainly not impossible, and with a few simple tricks you’ll probably find that it’s easier than you think! Here are the best tips to make sure you get to your European dream holiday.
1. Start Saving Now. Seems a little obvious, but the sooner you start to put money away the sooner you’ll reach your savings goal and get on that plane! It’s best to open a separate savings account rather than use your main account so you aren’t tempted to dip into it when there’s a great sale on at the mall. A quick way to get started is to cancel any subscriptions or memberships that you don’t need or use, and just redirect that payment into your savings account – you won’t even know the difference!
2. Time It Right. If you can, travelling at certain times of year will automatically save you more money. Europe is a wonderful summer holiday, but because it’s so popular you will be paying high prices for everything from flights to accommodation – not to mention fighting crowds at all of the attractions. A great alternative is to travel in the ‘shoulder’ seasons – think spring or autumn – so you can still get great weather but at a cheaper price (plus the queues will be much shorter).
3. Pack Your Walking Shoes. You’ve got access to free transportation if you’ve got a map and a comfortable pair of shoes, so make the most of it! This doesn’t just mean walking around the city from attraction to attraction – if you can find accommodation that is a few streets away from the popular tourist areas you’ll pay less just for the inconvenience of a 15 minute walk.
4. Shop Smart. Before you buy absolutely anything, stop and ask – can I get a better deal elsewhere? It’s doubtful that there is only one place to buy that tour, backpack or anything else that you need. There are so many great sites that offer the exact same product or experience but you’ll just pay less! For example, use a voucher website like mamma.com/uk to find promo codes for Expedia UK and Eurocamp to see if you can either save more money on your accommodation or maybe upgrade to nicer lodgings or a better location for the same price.
5. Book Early. Simply booking your flights and accommodation as much in advance as you can will save you money compared to rushing at the last minute – not to mention having more choice of location, provider or time. There’s nothing worse than having to get up at 4am to make a tour because it was the only option left!
With these few tips, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a baguette under the Eiffel Tower or gelato at the Trevi Fountain. Bon voyage!